Friday 24 March 2017

Author Spotlight - Steven Bentley


Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Stephen Bentley - Best-selling Author and HuffPost UK Blogger.

Tell us a little about yourself?

Stephen Bentley is a former UK Detective Sergeant, an undercover cop, and barrister (trial attorney). He now writes from the Philippines where he lives and is a Huffington Post UK blogger.
His true crime memoir Undercover: Operation Julie – The Inside Story was published in September 2016 and rapidly became an Amazon UK bestseller


Watch the 30-second Mini-Movie book trailer for Undercover: Operation Julie - The Inside Story.





1. When and why did you begin writing?

I first started to write seriously after my retirement and on my move to the Philippines. Prior to that I had started and stopped several times on my memoir about my undercover cop days on the UK’s largest drug bust. I needed to finish my memoir so I finally had the time to complete it.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?

The road chaos I encountered when first driving in the Philippines. I mean chaos! No one follows the rules and I doubt if most drivers are aware of them. It inspired me to write How to Drive Like an Idiot in Bacolod: An Expat’s Experiences of Driving in the Philippines and How to Survive.


3. Do you have a specific writing style?

I believe I do. But only because readers have told me they become so immersed they feel as if I am holding a private conversation with them. I find that both pleasing and flattering.



4. What are your current projects?

My current writing projects involve my first novel about an undercover cop! I have also started a fiction book about my paternal grandfather who served in the British Royal Navy from 1916 to 1945.

5. Do you see writing as a career?

No. Because I came to it late in life. To me, it’s a bonus. I enjoy writing and it provides some extra income.


6. Who designed the covers?

My cover designer is Anna Argiropoulou. I love the work she does and she is great fun too. Anna can be found on Facebook.


7. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

To have the courage to be totally honest with myself.
There are parts of my life that are still difficult to deal with.
I forced myself to be frank with not only myself but the reader.

8. Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Yes. Thank you to all who have bought my books and a huge thank you to those who left reviews.

9. What TV shows/films do you enjoy watching?

Unsurprisingly I love TV shows and movies about cops. The Wire has to be high on that list of favorites.

10. If you were not a writer what else would you like to do?

I would love to be a professional travel photographer. That combines two passions of mine and would make me sublimely happy.

Steven Bentley can be contacted at these links:


Facebook
Twitter
Website
Goodreads
Amazon Author Page

Get Undercover: Operation Julie - the Inside Story here.

A portion of all his book sales royalties will be donated to the Jamie Bulger Memorial Trust, a UK Registered Charity.
Please consider donating even if you never buy his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment